DOWNLOAD THE SUMMER INTENSIVE BROCHURE HERE
What is the Summer Intensive?
Dates: June 24 - August 2, 2013
Auditions: March 3 & March 10, 2013
The Summer Intensive is a 3-6 week intensive training program for advanced beginner through pre-professional dancers. Classes meet Monday-Friday and feature courses in technique, pointe, variations, jazz, flamenco, character, modern, and Pilates. It also includes choreography and acting seminars and mini-workshops.
The program is designed for male and female dancers ages 9 through advanced who are interested in a complete ballet training program focusing on contemporary and classical ballet repertoire.
What is the Choreographic Institute?
The Choreographic Institute is a 6 week intensive training program for advanced, ages 17 through pre-pro, dancers. Classes meet Monday-Friday, three to four classes per day plus rehearsals with new choreographers and a performance featuring their new works.
Apprentices and Trainee 3 dancers are selected by audition only and will be chosen to work with the professional company for the 2013-2014 season. Apprentice and trainee dancers attend the summer session of the Choreographic Institute. Send bio and audition request to BTM, 801 Chase St., Annapolis, MD 21401.
Students in the Trainee 3 program are transitioning between the school and the Company. During the school year, a portion of their classes are with students in Advanced and Trainee levels in the school. The rest of their training takes place during the day with the professional company.
Students in these levels are also eligible for college credit through Anne Arundel Community College (AACC).
I want to audition, what next?
- Arrive 1 hour to 30 minutes prior to your audition time on the audition days or by appointment.
- Complete the registration and include the $25.00 Audition Fee.
- Bring/wear the appropriate dance clothing. (Black leotard and pink tights required for Summer Intensive Auditions)
- Resume, headshot and full body shot in first arabesque required for Choreographic Institute Auditions. (Optional for Summer Intensive)
- Be prepared to take a ballet technique class, pointe, partnering for boys 16 yrs. and up. Additional contemporary work and repertoire will be given in the advanced through pre-pro levels.
When do I audition?
Auditions will be held on March 3 and March 10, 2013 or by arrangement with the Artistic Director. Audition times for BTM Summer Intensive, Pre-professional and Company positions are as follows:
Ages 9-12 Advanced Beginner: 3-4:30 pm
Ages 13-16 Intermediate / Intermediate Advanced: 5-6:30 pm
Ages 16 - Advanced/Pre-Pro/Company: 12 - 2:30 pm
Choreographic Institute: 12 pm -2:30 pm.
Where will the auditions take place?
Auditions will take place at the Merritt Annex, 1981 Moreland Parkway, Bldg 4A Bay 4-5, Annapolis, MD 21401.
What are the costs and schedule of classes for the Summer Intensive and Choreographic Institute?
FEES AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
- $150 Non-Refundable Deposit due April 19, 2013
- A $10 Registration Fee due April 19, 2013
- $200 Non-Refundable Downpayment due May 10, 2013
- Remaining Balance due by June 24 or July 15, 2013, depending on which session selected.
- A $10 Late Fee will be charged for each payment paid on or after the due date.
- Some scholarship funds may be available.
If accepted, when will I be notified?
You will be notified by the end of March 2013 if you have been accepted into the BTM Summer Intensive Program. Please refer to the Fees and Payment Schedule regarding payment deadlines.
What if I live too far away and I cannot attend the auditions?
If you cannot audition in person, videotaped auditions will be accepted if the student lives 150 miles or more away from the audition site. However, consideration will be given to those attending the audition in person over those auditioning by video tape only. If auditioning by video tape, please mail the following:
Completed registration and Audition Fee, (at Advanced/Pre-Pro/Company levels if done in person) $20.00. $25.00 at all other levels.
- Full-length dance photo, in first arabesque, and headshot.
- 10-15 minute video showing barre and center work on pointe with an adage, turns, petite allegro, grande allegro, fouette turns or turns in second (men). If you have a classical and/or contemporary variation include that as well.
- Include the $25 audition fee and the $10 registration fee if sending video in lieu of in-person auditions.
Mail to: BTM, Summer Intensive, 801 Chase Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
Who are the teachers?
Dianna Cuatto: Artistic Director, formerly of Ballet West, Richmond Ballet, Sacramento Ballet
Ballet Theater Faculty.
Guest Faculty from other National Companies.
Does BTM provide housing for Summer Intensive and Choreographic Institute students?
A limited number of host family housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis upon request. Information on unchaperoned housing is also available for those students 18 years and older.
What other opportunities does BTM provide?
Year-round pre-professional apprenticeship program for students ages 18 and older. (Attendance at the Summer Intensive is required)
- Apprentices and Trainee 3's work and perform in full-length and contemporary repertoire with Ballet Theatre of Maryland, the state's only ballet company.
- Opportunities for students to perform with the professional company in full-length ballets. Past productions have included, The Nutcracker, Carmen, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Little Women, Excalibur and Romeo and Juliet.
- A nurturing and supportive dance environment for each student.
- All students are eligible to perform in the Summer Intensive performance in August and in the annual school performance in June.
How can I get more information and an application?
For more information, please contact BTM office by the phone at 410-224-5644 or by mail at:
801 Chase Street
Annapolis, MD 21401